Château de Chantilly was left in a shambles after the French Revolution and rebuilt between 1875-1885. Surrounded by parkland, gardens, lakes and a vast forest; the original Petit Château was built around 1560 for Anne de Montmorency who served six French kings as their high constable.
The last resident of the Château – Duke of Aumale, son of King Louis-Philippe created the Condé Museum to present his collections of art, furnishings and an extraordinary library.
The Library contains 19,000 books, 1,500 of which are manuscripts. Amongst the treasured volumes are 700 incunabula books (printed before 1501)….as for the book cover this would be reason to invent Kindle!